I've heard that kale is really good for you, I'd never tried it before but I thought it would go well with the broccoli. I wanted to keep this soup as healthy and low in calories as possible, so I added in a potato to thicken it rather than adding cream which would have bumped the calories up quite a bit. If your not trying to lose a few pounds then feel free to add in a bit of cream, but honestly you don't need to!
This makes enough for 4 servings.
- 1 large broccoli
- 1 bag of kale - I used about 2/3 of a 200 gram bag
- 1 red onion
- 1 large potato
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Seasoning - I used an all purpose seasoning plus cayenne pepper for a bit of a kick
- I like to start by washing and cutting up my veggies so that they are ready to add to the pot when needed
- Add a small amount of olive or vegetable oil to a big pan, once it has heated up add the red onion and cook for a few minutes to soften
- Add in the kale and cook for a few minutes
- Make up your stock cube according to the instructions I used 2 cubes for 900ml of water, add to the pan
- Add the potato and cook for about 5 minutes before adding the broccoli
- Leave to simmer away until the potatoes soften and can be easily cut in half, this takes about 10 minutes
- You could leave the soup chunky and eat it as it is, but I personally didn't think it looked that appetising so I blended mine. I blended it in two batches, I speak from experience when I say don't try to blend it all at once!
- Blending seems to cool the soup down a bit so I always heat it again for a few minutes before serving
This is honestly one of the tastiest soups I've ever tried, it has a lovely fresh taste and I think it is perfect for summer. If you like broccoli you can't go wrong with this soup :)
Do you make your own soups? I love making them, they are a easy and tasty way to get lots of different veggies in your diet. They are also a good option if you are on a budget, but still want a healthy and filling lunch.